As esports continues to professionalise as an industry, various educational institutions are looking to cater to those wanting to develop careers in the sector by creating esports degrees and courses.
From a competitive standpoint, esports has featured relatively prominently at a university (collegiate) level in the US through various scholarship programmes. In fact, the first esports scholarship was offered by Robert Morris University (Illinois) in 2014. The UK meanwhile has companies such as university esports tournament operators NUEL and National Student Esports (NSE) bolstering the country’s competitive scene. The University of Roehampton also has its own esports scholarship programme.
Both the US and UK have moved beyond a focus on competitive players and teams by looking towards the curriculum too and offering tailored courses or esports degrees. In recent years, a number of universities in the UK have launched esports-focused qualifications, most of which vary in specificity.
Esports Insider has produced a guide detailing which universities in the UK offer an esports degree or course. It’s worth noting that these universities are currently offering courses for the upcoming 2023/24 semester. Moreover, some of these degrees have additional options that include placement or foundation years.
The following universities offer three-year degrees for esports.
- Falmouth University – Esports & Livestreaming (BA)
- Staffordshire University – Esports (BA)
- UCFB – Esports (BA)
- University of Chichester – Esports (BA)
- University of Northampton – Esports (BSc)
Tailored esports degrees
The following universities offer three-year degrees that position themselves as targeting a specific area of the esports industry.
- College of Esports – Esports Coaching and Management (BA)
- College of Esports – International Esports Business (BA)
- College of Esports – International Esports Business & Digital Marketing (BA)
- College of Esports – International Esports Business & Digital Media (BA)
- College of Esports – International Esports Business & Events Management (BA)
- Nottingham Trent University (Confetti Institute of Creative Technologies) – Esports Production (BSc)
- Sheffield Hallam University – Esports Management (BA)
- University of Chichester – Esports and Sports Media (BA)
- University of Sunderland – Esports Event Management (BSc)
Other esports qualification courses
The following institutions offer higher education esports-related courses that provide qualifications upon completion.
- Barnsley College – Esports Education: Coaching, Health and Wellbeing (two-year foundation degree)
- Belfast Metropolitan College – Esports (two-year foundation degree)
- Dundee and Angus College – Esports and Creative Industries (two-year foundation degree)
- University of Salford – Esports Business Management (two-year HND)
- University Centre Leeds – Esports Coaching and Management (two-year foundation degree)
- University Centre WISE – Esports Events and Production (two-year foundation degree)
If Esports Insider has missed any institutions that offer esports degrees or relevant courses in the United Kingdom, then please reach out to [email protected]. The article will be updated accordingly.
Disclaimer: This list is for educational purposes. Inclusion in the article does not suggest that Esports Insider endorses the degrees or courses mentioned.