Esports Insider has announced the finalists for the 2021 edition of The Clutch, a pitch investment competition that provides esports focused startups with a platform to promote themselves and network with some of the industries most influential figures and brands.
The Clutch will take place at ESI Digital Summer from September 8-9th. In addition, speakers from FaZe Clan, Team Liquid, Moonton (Mobile Legends), Nerd Street Gamers, Apex Legends/EA, Ninjas in Pyjamas, Omnicoach and We Are Nations have been announced for the virtual conference.
The Clutch, in partnership with Level 256 has become a focal point at ESI events with ESI Digital Summer hosting the fifth iteration this year.
Judges for the competition include sought-after figures in and around the investment field from Hiro Capital, Gamesquare, Level 256 and HSBC Private. The winning company will receive an exclusive place in Level 256’s €5,000 incubator programme, alongside extensive promotion, and access to guidance and mentorship.
The start-ups announced for The Clutch include:
- Dragoni – An esports betting and data platform where users can search information on players, teams and matches across esports titles, and play real money wagers.
- iTero Gaming – Software development company that looks to revolutionise the analytics usage of professional teams.
- NXT Up Esports – A youth development program that teaches kids important life skills through video games, offering Youth Esports Leagues, After School Classes, and Esports Camps.
- The Match Lab – Data-driven video-game coaching system developed for users to easily understand and practically apply, with a focus on League of Legends.
- Jan Neumeister – Head of Operations EMEA, Gamesquare
- Vincent Vercelli – Head of Incubation, Level 256
- Spike Laurie – Venture Capital, Hiro Capital
- Helen Sarah Gammons – HSBC Private
Previous winners of The Clutch have included esports performance company GScience and TEAMS.GG, a gaming matchmaking platform.
Sam Cooke, Managing Director and Co-founder of ESI, commented: “The Clutch has become a fundamental part of ESI events and we are thrilled that ESI Digital Summer is hosting the fifth edition of the esports investment competition. Receiving more applications than expected for another year in a row, we have once again worked hard to whittle it down to the final four.
“With the industry continuing to grow, we are always looking for the most innovative and exciting startups to enter the esports space, and I’m proud to help those companies, providing a platform to showcase themselves and their thought-provoking ideas.”
Speakers for ESI Digital Summer include some of the industry’s most influential figures and brand authorities. Sessions include:
Day 1 (September 8th):
- Moonton, ByteDance and Mobile Legends
- Esports and Education 2021
- Confirmed speakers: Matt Watson – Head of Research, Learning & Development – International Federation of Esports Coaches (IFoEC), Ariane Lim – CEO – AcadArena, Annabel Lawday – International BTEC Portfolio Manager – Pearson, and Josh Williams- The NUEL – Founder
- Prospects – is it commercially viable for esports teams to have academies?
- Confirmed speakers: Jonas Gunderson – NiP, Atle Stehouwer – Founder & CEO – Team Singularity, Erik Lydecker – Founder/CEO – Pluck GG, and Kieran Holmes-Darby – Co-Founder and Esports Director – EXCEL ESPORTS
- Esports teams and revenue diversification – Talent management agencies
- Confirmed speakers: Matthew Woods – CEO and Co-Founder – AFK Creators, Damian Skoczylas – Managing Director – ICON Agency, Justin Stefanovic – Misfits Gaming Agency, and Irymarc A. Gutierrez – CEO – Tier One Entertainment Inc
Day 2 (September 9th):
- The business of streaming – from the POV of an esports org
- Confirmed speakers: Patrick ‘Chief Pat’ Carney – CEO & Founder – Tribe Gaming, Renan Philip – Co-Founder – 3C Gaming, Stephen Ellis – Co-Founder/CEO – Pipeline and Zachary Rozga – CEO – Thece
- Why hasn’t the travel industry better embraced esports?
- Esports Ecosystem Update: Apex Legends
- John Nelson – Senior Director and Commissioner – Apex Legends Competitive Gaming
- Esports media rights in 2021 – show me the money?
- Confirmed speakers: Sidney Fohrman – Esports & Games Team Leader, Partner – Sheppard Mullin, Tammy Brand – CLO – FaZe Clan, Nicolas Maurer – Co-CEO – Team Vitality, Nick Volante – Sales Agent – SPORTEL
- The Clutch
The full agenda for ESI Digital Summer can be found here. ESI is offering discounted Duo Passes for those wishing to secure their attendance to the two remaining digital events, ESI Digital Summer and Winter in 2021. Follow Esports Insider on Twitter for the latest updates, and sign up to the twice-weekly ESI Dispatch Newsletter here.